On the trail of Doc Holliday

Since I last posted, we headed south from Laramie to a cabin in the San Isabel forest of the rockies. We decided for speed and so we ended up cutting right through Denver, which was a bit of a downer, but we pushed hard that day and made it to San Isabel. We had a beautiful cabin that was more like a home and we felt a little spoiled for a couple of days, but man was it nice.

The weather was great and we had a lot of sun, though a few rain showers did pass through. However, there was one appearance by mother nature that we had no indication would arise as an issue. Our first night in the cabin we were relaxed sitting around, doing whatever. At about 11:30 in the evening we felt the cabin sway like something heavy had pushed it. Alarmed, we both grabbed our guns thinking that it might have been the local bear attempting to try and get in a window. Granted pistols aren’t going to be highly effective aganst a bear, but aything would be better than nothing we figured. So as we went cautiously from window to windwo peering out in the grass, there was nothing to be seen. On guard, we went back to our activities but still confused.

It turns out, as I was alerted by text from JoAnne the next day, there had been an earthquake centered just an hours drive from us in Trinidad. Finding out was something of a relief that at least we didn’t need to be concerned with bears climbing in a window.

Now since we had a couple of days without travel, I decided to head to Pueblo, which was about forty-five minutes away, and see if I could locate any old buildings of significance. Most had been rebuilt since the early 1880’s, but I did locate an old building where Doc Gambled and the train station area where Doc and Wyatt met up with Bat Masterson.

When it came time to leave we followed a path that took us through the Royal Gorge Canyon, where Doc Holliday and Wyatt Earp (among many others) helped Bat Masterson in the Royal Gorge war. Later, we passed through St. Elmo, an old mining ghost town that was set way back in the hills. And finally we made it to Leadville, Co. where Doc Holliday lived for four years before moving to Glenwood Springs and finally died of tuberculosis.

James and I, after unloading our bikes into our room, strolled the town and located several buildings and locations where Doc operated. One was the Tabor Opera House where Holliday led Republican meetings in Leadville (bet nobody expected that), a saloon where he was rumored to have frequented, and finally as it turns out, the most momentous of all…it turns out that in the historic hotel where we are staying Doc Holliday lived for eight months before moving tot Glenwood Springs! I talked to the man at the desk and found out what room he had been in and coincidentally James had taken a picture of me right outside it just earlier in the evening.

Tomorrow we’ll be looking around town a bit and then heading to Glenwood Springs to see the facility where Doc was cared for as he died, and then the location he was buried.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s